Updated: Oct 24, 2020
Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
Updated: April 17th 2020
This program has regrouped employed and self-employed Canadian residents who have been affected by Covid-19
1. At least 15 years old
2. Resident of Canada with a valid SIN number and
3. $5,000 income in 2019 or last 12 rolling month which include:
employment income (T4)
self-employment income (invoices issued to clients – Profit and Loss report from your accounting software)
EI benefits such as parental leave benefits- (cheques or deposits from Government)
provincial benefits (adoption)
4. Had to cease working for reasons related to COVID-19 OR are eligible for EI regular or sickness benefits OR have exhausted their Employment Insurance regular benefits between December 29, 2019 and October 3, 2020.
How do I Apply?
Applications will be available as of April 6th via CRA My Account portal and Service Canada
Via a Toll-Free number 1‑800‑959‑2019 or 1‑800‑959‑2041
Applications will be for any four-week period falling with in March 15, 2020 and ending October 3,2020.
Period 1: March 15 – April 11
Period 2: April 12 – May 9
Period 3: May 10 – June 6
The suggested schedule for applications is as follows:If you were born in the month ofApply for CERB onYour best day to applyJanuary, February or MarchMondaysApril 6April, May, or JuneTuesdaysApril 7July, August, or SeptemberWednesdaysApril 8October, November, or DecemberThursdaysApril 9Any monthFridays, Saturdays and Sundays
How Much Will I Receive?
$500/ month for up to 16 weeks. These funds are not garnishable – not subject to Bankruptcy or Insolvency Acts
Note that to apply for this benefit : 1. You DO NOT need to be laid off. You must meet the requirements listed above.
2. This benefit is taxable. Taxes to be deducted at filing time for 2020 (April 2021)
3. You may receive other than provincial/territorial support payments
4. You may earn less than $1K for:
a. In the first eligibility period – and did not work for at least 14 consecutive days or more within the four-week benefit period of your claim)
b. Other any subsequent period for the 4 week period
5. You are not required to demonstrate eligibility at this time. However, this may be requested later on.
For more information go to: CERB Page CRA
Feel free to reach us if you have any questions about how to access or understand if this is a suitable option for your business